Macomb County Office Assistant Senior in Mount Clemens, Michigan
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time position (37.5 hours per week) The starting time for this posiiton is 8:00 a.m.
*GENERAL SUMMARY: *
Performs routine to moderately difficult clerical duties according to established policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Determines eligibility for programs funding in following policies and program directives.
Performs data entry for record keeping, tracking, registration, inventory and ordering.
Maintains inventory of perishable/non-perishable supplies and materials.
Updates and maintains computer records at the office, County and State of Michigan level.
Processes invoices as accounts payable/receivable, prepare and submit requests for payment of invoices and post payments entries.
Answers procedural questions regarding various departmental functions, duties, actions and procedures, schedule appointments, set court dates, etc.
Assists customers in person, on line or over the telephone.
Receives (cashier), process and deposit payments/money for fees, fines, assessments, permits, tax payments, prepare and make daily bank deposits, etc.
Performs bookkeeping to balance accounts, requests check, make journal entries, maintain spread sheets, etc.
Prepares a variety of documents and correspondence using personal computers, printers, email, and other electronic means for Department Heads, Elected Officials, Managers, Supervisors and others.
Operates a variety of computer database software programs required for efficient operation of services.
Manages and accounts for petty cash operations.
Arranges Interpreter Services, coordinate scheduling and process billing arrangements.
Enters payroll data, run verification reports, split time to multiple funding sources.
Audits accounts (internal/external), verify debits/credits, apply appropriate adjustments and update account status.
Reviews forms, letters and legal documents for accuracy, correcting errors or rejecting forms to the originator to have them corrected and resubmitted.
Maintains a variety of department, program and office operational records including registrations, licenses, credentials of staff, attendance, property/land ownership, leases and contracts, etc.
Provides office administration and phone support to department staff, supervisors, managers and department directors.
Schedules appointments, events, hearings and or meetings for staff, consultants, attorneys and others.
Operates standard office equipment such as personal computers, facsimile machines, copiers, scanners, calculators and adding machines.
Performs related work as required.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED equilavent
One (1) year of office clerical work experience Required Licenses or Certifications
Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license, operable automobile and insurance Preferred Education and Experience
Associates degree or higher
- Three (3) or more years of office clerical, bookkeeping or accounting related work experience COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Modern office procedures and methods
- Various and specialty designated data processing/computer systems and applications for office administration across many departments in the County
- Principles and practices of basic bookkeeping and invoice processing
- General clerical/administrative support and secretarial processes common to office administration
- Accounts receivable and payable procedures
- Payroll processing and timekeeping
- Manual and electronic filing and record keeping procedures and retention schedules
- HIPAA and other laws or County policies for maintaining record confidentiality
- County, State of Michigan and department policies and practices for ordering and maintaining inventory of necessary supplies for daily office/clinic or department operation
- A variety of programs eligibility, enrollment and verification policies and practices
Database applications and report writing, data mining and collection for operational review (Financial/Electronic Medical Records, Court Case Management and others) Skill in:
Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with staff and the public
- Providing customer service to internal and external customers via phone, email and in person
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Performing somewhat complex mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, and ratios
- Organization and time management
- Operating personal computers with current versions of office efficiency software and applications
- Performing data entry to multiple types of database applications for registration, enrollment, service provision, billing, inventory and statistical review and reporting
Assigning, prioritizing, monitoring, and reviewing work assignments Ability to:
Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers with tact and courtesy
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Speak and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Work independently
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
- Perform moderate level clerical/administrative related duties with a high degree of accuracy
- Lead and train staff and coworkers
- Learn new policies, practices and procedures
- Read and understand laws, rulings and other published guidance
- Handle, process and account for large sums of cash/money
- Understand and follow complex registration, eligibility and enrollment guidelines **WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Works in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties. The noise level in the work environment is typical of that of an office with frequent contact with customers.
Bends, stoops and reaches in order to file, search for and retrieve records and documents.
Manual dexterity and regular fine-finger and hand/wrist motions are required for operating a keyboard, writing and filing.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
Lifts, moves and carries equipment and supplies that weigh up to 34 pounds.
Operates an automobile whole performing assigned duties.
General Requirements and/or Disclaimers
Complies with P.A. 390, as amended, known as the State's Emergency Management Act and the County's Emergency Management resolution as well as all related plans, policies and procedures covered by these statutes.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment amongst other possible accommodations.
American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 411 (AFSCME) bargaining unit represents this position. Therefore, there may be contract language which could require consideration in the selection process.
Salary: $31,977.33 - $40,554.99 Annually
Location: Mount Clemens, MI
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Treasurer's Office
Job Number: 20-00455
Closing: 1/28/2021 5:00 PM Eastern
Agency: Macomb County
Address: 1 South Main Street 6th Floor Mount Clemens, Michigan, 48043
DEPARTMENT: Treasurer's Office
HIRING AUTHORITY: Treasurer
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to probationary period