Newell Brands Sr Manager, Graphic Design Ops in Kalamazoo, Michigan
Position Title: Senior Manager, Graphic Design Operations
Primary Location : Kalamazoo, MI Design Center
Reports to : Director, Graphic Design
The Senior Manager, Graphic Design Operations manages the creative production and execution for all brands and/or product groupings within a brand, from production initiation through file release. In this role, you will lead the creative production, execution and finalization of the conceptual graphic systems, the visual assets management and the quality control, as well as the project coordination. The Senior Manager, Graphic Design Operations manages a team of production and project coordinators, and is responsible for attracting, developing and retaining creative production talents, internal and/or external resources. The Senior Manager, Graphic Design Operations partners with the Graphic Design Leadership team, as well as marketing partners and brands, to ensure on-time delivery, quality of input/output, production timelines, and successful translation of concepts into in-market artwork.
• Works collaboratively with Graphic Design Leadership, brand and channel teams to understand the marketing projects and campaigns, and collaborates with eDesign Leadership when Omni-Creative is necessary.
• Evaluates the content of production requests as needed, based on complexity and strategic level of project or campaign.
• Shares production brief content with the Leader, Graphic Design Operations and recommends translation of the strategy and needs assessment information into execution plans.
• Partners with the Director, Graphic Design in RFP and production agency selection and partnership agreement development. (Workfront, etc)
• Manages delivery and maintenance of assets across corporate database.
• Manages systems, applications, fonts, and server file structure for Graphic Design department.
• Supports the Director, Graphic Design in developing an effective Omni-Creative execution plan
for all relevant projects.
• Sets the overall efficiency and resource need of the Graphic Design Team, aiding in Priority Roadmapping, and ensuring teams align the output to the priority level.
• Leads the effective translation of the brand style guide including typography, packaging, photography, illustration, multimedia, video, and activation materials.
• Partners with Design Leadership to effectively track and log resourcing, production rounds, and other metrics determined by Design Center Leadership.
• Ensures production training, data analytics, and quality of information, of the Graphic Design organization, is up-to-date, accurate, and timely/ongoing.
• Manages and oversees the Contractor spend and needs of the Graphic Design organization, as well as intelligent use of BIC and T&E.
• Presents production timelines/plans with rationale to marketing teams.
• Guides the production design team to translate the brand visual identity guidelines into executable
• Oversees project management teams to ensure they are partnering with business segment teams to build project timelines for all projects and ensure segment strategic objectives are met and achieve annual financial objectives
• Assigns employees clearly defined projects and tasks, and coaches and develops their skills.
• Collaborates with creative design peers to share best practices and foster inspiration.
• Uses appropriate decision-making and approval processes in a timely manner.
• Agrees to a clear statement of work or project scope and compensation for all production agencies / external resources before beginning work.
• Participates in and helps organize recruiting events.
• University degree or college diploma in graphic design, art or related field. Bachelor degree preferred.
• 10+ years of experience in a creative/graphic design position, including 3+ years management experience.
• Experience leading the creative development and related executions for a brand.
• Highly detail-oriented.
• Passionate about design and knowledgeable about the industry, trends, and marketplace.
• Exceptional written, verbal and visual communication skills.
• Exceptional presentation skills.
• Pragmatic with excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to:
– Demonstrate passion for a brand and infuse other people with that passion.
– Drive consensus, foster creative collaboration.
– Lead and develop meetings and brainstorming sessions.
– Work directly with both internal and external partners in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
• Strong time management skills. Demonstrates a high degree of flexibility within tight deadlines.
• Excellent business acumen.
• Communication Design: Ability to take a brief from business partners and translate it into a proficient set of graphic proposals leveraging the right approach to visual communications. Demonstrates ability to present to business partners the appropriateness of a given set of design solutions.
• Typography and Letterforms: Highly versed in sizing, kerning, leading. Chooses compatible font pairings for unique aesthetic effects. Deep knowledge of standard and contemporary type families, histories and foundries. Able to manipulate letterforms to achieve a intended design outcome. Can modify type so as not to compromise the integrity of the base letterform. Ability to use type as visual illustration.
• Digital Tools: Mastery in programs for advanced design development and program applications/efficiencies. Utilize multiple programs and digital tools for rigorous design exploration and concept development.
• Design Architecture: Develops frameworks for information as part of design process. Supports story/message through design architecture. Establishes visual hierarchies to define different types of content.
• Narrative Sketching: Ability to develop multiple visual concepts for initial design exploration that includes a wide variety of cross functional inputs. Adept at basic storytelling and visual translation of story into cohesive graphic strategy.
• Art Direction: Ability to direct creative projects on a broad scale. Deep in a detailed understanding of all design components required. Implementation of the best design tools and practices to reflect required brand targets. Demonstrates mastery in design architecture deployment. Deep expertise in experience design development, photography, illustration, production. Leadership: achieve bold outcomes with clear vision, direction, planning and management. Practitioner and Thought Leadership around design techniques, trends and package innovation. Current on market context, design trends, technology and art.
• Color Theory: Capability of recommending color families based of brand intent. Capability of developing graphic solutions leveraging color as a primary component. Applies color appropriately within existing color systems. Follows color trends annually. Capable of reading color issues and knowing how to appropriately adjust.
• Visual Interaction: Communicates effectively with visuals and type. Experienced in art direction to develop assets. Employs production techniques and materials to create impactful designs. Understands production and designs for best results.
• Fundamentals of Illustration: A deep understanding for illustrative mediums and how they are developed.
• Package Design: Develops and follows brand standards and guidelines for proper application. Explores and tests new techniques, materials, processes. Familiarizes themselves with aisle/store environment to designs for most impact. Follows legal and customer requirements.
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal OpportunityEmployers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Newell Brands is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide all employees and applicants for employment with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, immigration status, marital status, military status, any covered veteran status, disability status, genetic information, caregiving responsibilities or any other basis prohibited by law.
- Newell Brands Jobs